For many of us, a trip is an unforgettable adventure. Even just buying a plane ticket is a special experience. However, organizing a trip is also very stressful.
Flight fares change constantly, and it is impossible to guarantee when you can find the lowest prices.
15 Tips To Book Cheap Flight Tickets
However, there are some useful tricks to help you save and find cheap flight tickets. We’ve compiled a list of the best hacks to use to increase your chances of scoring an afforable airfare:
1. Plan Ahead
You must have already heard that it is best to purchase a plane ticket three months before travel, or at least three weeks in advance. Prices tend to rise as the departure date approaches, so waiting to book at the last minute can be an expensive bet.
2. Book on Weekends
Did you know that it’s best to book your flights on weekends? While the most expensive tickets tend to be booked on Thursdays and Fridays, you can save up to 36% by booking your flight on a Sunday.
3. Choose the Best Days to Take Off
By starting your trip on a Thursday or a Friday, you can save around 10% on your airfare.
4. Be Flexible
Being flexible with your travel dates will surely save you a lot. Make sure you compare prices 2-3 days before and after your desired departure date. Some days are significantly cheaper in some destinations (e.g. weekends in “business” destinations).
5. Use the Best Sites to Search for Cheap Flights
It is always good to check multiple sources before booking your flight. Make sure you use the best search engines, such as Skyscanner and Google Flights, to get the best deals. You may also want to check out some airline websites.
6. Browse Incognito
Many sites store your previous search history, so prices may change based on what you’ve already searched for. To avoid this and make sure you get the best possible deal, turn on the private browsing mode before booking your flight.
7. Direct Flights
Non-stop direct flights are not always the most expensive. In fact, direct flights can cost you much less than flights with stopovers, especially in low season or when a new route is added.
8. Search for “Error Fares”
Error fares are super cheap airline tickets that are often the result of errors that airlines do not detect in time.
9. Buy an “Open Jaw” Ticket
This is a return ticket where the departure and destination airports are different on the two legs of the journey. For example, you fly from Venice to Porto and then return from Lisbon.
When the fares are high for a certain city, with an open jaw ticket you can take advantage of a cheaper destination nearby.
10. Consider an Airport Further Away
The closest airport to home is not always the best choice. Also consider flights from slightly further airports as they often prove to be the most convenient solution in terms of saving time, money, and convenience.
Also with GoOpti there are some tricks to help you save and find cheaper transfers – be flexible and buy early!
11. Book the Holiday Apartment in Advance
You can save, by booking in advance, not only on the total amount of the flight, but also on the vacation rental.
In fact, by booking 3/4 weeks in advance it is possible to save up to a maximum of 45% on the total amount, for national and European destinations.
If, on the other hand, your destination is located outside the European borders, we recommend that you book your holiday accommodation approximately 8/9 weeks before your arrival. In this way you can save up to 41% on the total price of the stay.
Let’s give some examples:
- Renting a holiday home in Rome: 4 weeks before arrival the average price is $50 per night, this rises to $76 2 weeks before departure;
- Renting a holiday apartment in Amsterdam : 5 weeks before departure the average price is $100 per night, which can reach $135 2 weeks before arrival;
- Renting a holiday apartment in Paris : 5 weeks before arrival the average price for a night is $55, this can reach $115 one week before departure;
- Renting a holiday apartment in London: 4 weeks before departure the average price is $35 per night, this rises to $70 one week before arrival;
- Renting a holiday apartment in Barcelona : 4 weeks before arrival the average price for a night is $32 per night, which can reach $65 a week before departure;
- Renting a holiday apartment in Milan : 5 weeks before departure the average price is $40 per night, this can reach $90 2 weeks before arrival;
- Renting a holiday apartment in Berlin : 5 weeks before departure the average price is $50 per night, rising to $135 one week before arrival.
12. Take Advantage of the Offers
By now the “war” between airlines is played out with offers, and in this price war, it is us the buyers who benefit from it. You have to constantly and carefully monitor all their promotions and all their discount codes and take advantage of them immediately.
13. Divide the Reservation
If you are traveling in a group it is advisable to divide the booking into small groups.
This is because, for example, if there are only four tickets left on offer but the reservation is made for 10 people at the same time, the ticketing system applies the highest rate for everyone.
14. Fly Either Early in the Morning or Late in the Evening
The cheapest tickets are always those at inconvenient times, such as early in the morning or late in the evening.
To tell the truth, I actually prefer those, because when leaving early and returning late you have more time to dedicate to the destination . As always, it’s all a matter of different points of view.
15. Traveling in the Off Season
The prices of airline tickets for bank holidays, long weekends, Christmas, New Year, Easter, and August are always high. Unless you have to travel during those times, it is best to do so in the low season instead, when the prices of airline tickets are much lower.
All these tips on when to book a cheap flight, if followed carefully and combined with a bit of luck, will allow you to travel at a low cost anywhere in the world. So, happy flight hunting and enjoy your trip!